Chelsea have been keen on signing Gonzalo Higuain since the start of the January transfer window, but there seems to have been complications with the deal, with the 31-year-old Juventus player currently on loan with AC Milan.
According to Daily Mail, Chelsea have reached an agreement with Juventus for the loan of Gonzalo Higuain until the end of the season with an option to extend for a further year.
There had been hopes that Higuain could make his debut at the Emirates, but that is now out of the question, as the deal hasn’t yet been confirmed.
Gonzalo Higuain’s agent, his brother Nicolas, is reportedly in London to see out the deal, and a recent photo of Higuain has now gone viral that he is in London as well.
Higuain declined to comment on reports of a move to Chelsea on his return to Italy in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Higuain told Italian media who met him on his arrival from Supercoppa Italiana at Milan’s Malpensa airport: “If you are looking for troubles, you won’t find them with me.”
Higuain came off the bench in Wednesday night’s Supercoppa Italiana loss to parent club Juventus in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Higuain was not spotted in a squad photo at Milan’s hotel in Saudi Arabia, and his absence excited Chelsea fans, who believed he was on his way to Stamford Bridge.
Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso though insisted he had a fever and said the striker has been ‘unlucky’.
“He’s unlucky at the moment. He had a fever last night, we did everything to get him better, but he didn’t play much, so I preferred a fresher player,” said Gattuso.
“It might seem like a joke, but honestly, it’s true. Higuain wasn’t in the picture when the Saudi Prince came to visit because I was afraid the virus would spread among the other players, so that was my decision.”
Could the game have been the last for Higuain at AC Milan? Gattuso refused to say.
“I’ve got a burning inside me, we have 25 players, so let’s not talk about this now,” said Gattuso.
“We lick our wounds and will see what happens tomorrow.”