Chelsea have made one January transfer signing, as Gonzalo Higuain joined the club just last week, making his debut in the FA Cup game against Sheffield Wednesday.
Blues boss Maurizio Sarri has now revealed that he’s looking forward to another signing before the close of the January transfer window which ends 11pm on Thursday night.
Following the departure of Cesc Fabregas to Monaco, Sarri has insisted that he wants the midfielder to be replaced, as he seeks cover for the Jorginho role.
Sarri said: “You know very well my opinion. I thought for us it was important to have two players. One has arrived & I’m waiting for the other. If he will arrive I’ll be very happy, but if he doesn’t I will work with these players. It’s not a problem.”
Chelsea are now being linked with Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic since the Spanish giants signed Frenkie De Jong from Ajax.
Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has revealed financial restrictions may force Barcelona to sell some of their first-team players including Rakitic who’s now being linked to Chelsea.
“The problem with Barcelona is they are increasing the wage list, having decreased it of course,” he said on the Guillem Balague Transfer Show.
“But with the signing of De Jong, they’re trying to get (Adrien) Rabiot, they may have to get rid of some players.
“In fact De Jong was told by him coming in meant that two regulars were going to go.
“One of them could be Rakitic, that’s what Barcelona is trying – to get rid of Rakitic.
“But Rakitic will tell you he’s 31, he’s absolutely happy at Barcelona.
“To go somewhere else will have to be something absolutely amazing, there’s nothing like that on the table.
“The cover of Sport had Rakitic linked to Chelsea but right now no offer of any kind because it’s more like Barcelona wanted to push out.”