World football governing body FIFA have confirmed Chelsea have appealed against a transfer ban imposed on the club after FIFA found Chelsea guilty of breaching transfer rules on overseas players under the age of 18.
Last month, FIFA banned Chelsea from the next two transfer windows and also fined the club 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000).
Following Chelsea’s appeal against the ban, FIFA said in a statement that it could not give a schedule for the process, nor say whether the ban would be lifted pending the appeal hearing.
“Any decision on the sanction remaining in place during the appeal process is to be taken by the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee,” FIFA said on Tuesday.
Chelsea responded to FIFA’s transfer ban on the club last month by insisting the club would appeal.
A statement from Chelsea read: “Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA disciplinary committee and will therefore be appealing the decision.
“The club wishes to emphasise that it respects the important work undertaken by FIFA in relation to the protection of minors and has fully cooperated with FIFA throughout its investigation. Chelsea FC acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will shortly be submitting its appeal to FIFA.”