To get news directly on the go, download the Real Chelsea Fans App
Chelsea’s defence has been an issue this season as the Blues were beaten by a resurgent Everton side 3-1 at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon.
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard lamented after the game that he was displeased with the kind of goals his side conceded, as they all came from poor defensive positions and decisions.
“All the goals were sloppy,” he said.
“The first goal was something we were aware of, Richarlison in the air in the box, and then the other two were just really poor defending from us. We were looking like getting back in the game at 2-1 and we can’t give away a goal like the third, it was ridiculous.”
Check out these stats about the Chelsea defence
1. Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga is yet to keep a domestic clean sheet away from home in 2019.
2. The centre-back pairing of Andreas Christensen and Kurt Zouma have conceded 15 goals in the seven games they have started together this season.
3. Chelsea have conceded more times than Newcastle, Brighton and Crystal Palace, at an average of 1.5 per 90 minutes.
4. At the start of the season, Chelsea conceded goals mostly from set-pieces, but the opposition teams now understand Chelsea’s weakness as Chelsea concede goals from the counter. Teams encourage Chelsea to hold possession and commit additional bodies forward and then hit on the break.
5. Chelsea’s defence even affect the attack in the sense that the Blues have never won a game after conceding first.
6. Chelsea have conceded the most goals in the top half of the table.