To get news directly on the go, download the Real Chelsea Fans App
Mateo Kovacic won the Chelsea Player of the Season last term, with the likes of Eden Hazard, Willian and N’Golo Kante having won it the previous years.
From observation, this season may be the year when Chelsea fans may have to argue and ponder the most when asked to pick their Player of the Season.
We’ve come up with a list of players who we believe can be Player of the Season, from their current form.
- Edouard Mendy: The 28-year-old goalkeeper has only conceded two goals since signing up for Chelsea. Chelsea’s defence has been rock solid since he joined, and it’s not an overstatement to say that Mendy has played a key role in strengthening the defence. Surely, he’ll be a contender for Player of the Season.
- Thiago Silva: Not many 36-year-olds have had a huge impact in the Premier League, but Thiago Silva is breaking barriers. The veteran defender has brought a sense of leadership and calm to the Chelsea defence, something we never saw last season. He’s even made those around him better. He’s surely a contender for the Player of the Season.
- Reece James: To take the first choice spot ahead of Cesar Azpilicueta is no mean feat, as Reece James has shown that he’s a class player. The 20-year-old is not only solid defensively, but going forward, he’s also a class act. Reece James has shown that he is a worthy mention in the race for Player of the Season. He’s not knew to this, as he also won it while on loan with Wigan.
- Ben Chilwell: Last season, Chelsea boss Frank Lampard struggled with his left-back options, Marcos Alonso and Emerson Palmieri, as they both couldn’t offer him what he wanted. However, with Chilwell, the left-back position has been well covered. The 23-year-old has been on fire for the Blues, and he has ensured that there has been no lapse defensively on the left flank.
- Hakim Ziyech: He has been receiving all the plaudits and deservedly so, as he has owned the right flank with his left foot. His precision with his passes have been jawdropping and he has brought a new dimension to the Chelsea attack. He was named man of the match in his last two games, and it’s not hard to see why.
- Timo Werner: He has now scored 8 goals in his last 12 games and is looking every bit a powerful striker. Speed, shot, movement, finishing, Werner has it all, and he’d be a big player for the Blues this season.