To get news directly on the go, download the Real Chelsea Fans App
A lot has been said about the teams involved in the European Super League, but the truth be told, UEFA has played a part in seeing things get to that extent.
As much as the closed league seemed highly controversial and bereft of merited sporting competition, club owners who have overseen major losses during the pandemic were left to think of the way forward in respect to earning more in order to keep the club running and also ensure the clubs remain at the top.
Big money signings are quite costly, and running a top club also demands a lot of revenue, and of course, players as well refused to take a pay cut during the lockdown. So it’s easy to throw stones, except when the stones are throwed at you.
According to reports, Chelsea were not too keen on joining the European Super League, and were among the first to pull out.
The club has now gone ahead to send a heartfelt apology to the fans in wake of their involvement in the controversial European Super League.
“The Owner and Board of Chelsea Football Club would like to address Chelsea supporters about the events which have taken place over the past few days. We have taken time since withdrawing from the ESL to speak directly to various supporter groups and listen to their views and concerns,” Chelsea released in a statement published on the club’s official website on Friday.
“Our ambition with Chelsea Football Club has always been to make it the best club in the world, both on the pitch and in how we work with, and give back to the community off it.
“The joint decision to join the ESL was driven by this same ambition. When it became clear that a new league might be formed, we did not want Chelsea FC to miss out on the opportunity to play in such a potentially prominent league, nor did we want to risk the Club falling behind our closest English and European rivals in competitive terms.
“As a Club, we are committed to an open and regular dialogue with our fans and other stakeholders, but, on this occasion, regrettably, due to time constraints and confidentiality restraints, this was not achieved.
“As concerns were raised following the announcement, the Club took a step back to listen and speak to supporters. Following those conversations and taking into account the extremely strong views against the proposal, we reassessed our initial decision and decided we did not want to be part of this league.
“We also recognise the sentiment that had been expressed about whether the ESL relied strongly enough on sporting merit. This is something we had strong concerns about from the start and were confident would have been addressed during a further consultation process with various stakeholders, along with other concepts in the proposal about which we had reservations. We firmly believe that we must protect a structure which allows all clubs, players and supporters to dream of, and achieve, success.
“We recognise we should have addressed these issues in advance of joining the group. The Owner and Board understand that involving the Club in such a proposal was a decision we should not have taken. It is a decision we deeply regret.”
Indeed, the club has shown its class with this letter to the fans, and it’s time for the Blues faithful to accept the apology and move on. Like the old Biblical saying goes ‘he without sin should throw the first stone’.