Barcelona have told Chelsea transfer target Ousmane Dembele that he has to leave the Spanish side this month after failing to extend his contract.
Dembele has six months left on his Barcelona contract and he is unwilling to extend his contract with the Spanish side, Barcelona’s director of football Mateu Alemany revealed on Thursday.
Dembele has been dropped from Barcelona’s squad to face Athletic Club later tonight.
Dembele was informed by manager Xavi on Wednesday that he would have to depart Camp Nou unless he signed a new contract.
Alemany told a press conference on Thursday ahead of the Copa del Rey meeting with Athletic Club, as quoted by GOAL: “We understand Dembele’s decision is to not continue at Barca and we’ve communicated our decision [to leave him out].
“We want players that are committed to the club and we have told him he has to leave the club as soon as possible.”
Dembele has spent the last four-and-a-half seasons at Camp Nou, having initially joined the club from Borussia Dortmund for €145 million (£121m/$164m) in 2017, but now only has six months left to run on his contract.
Barcelona boss Xavi warned the winger on Wednesday that he was running out of time to make a decision.
“The message is clear. Ousmane Dembele has to sign a new contract or we find a way to sell him in January. No other way,” Xavi said in a press conference on Wednesday.
“It is not contemplated that he stays in the stands. I have been very clear with Ousmane.”
Dembele has appeared in 11 games across all competitions in 2021-22 so far and has only managed to record one goal and two assists.